Saturday, August 7, 2010

Graffiti Splattered Walls

I wrote a couple quotes on a piece of paper in dark red Sharpie and taped the paper to my wall last night when I should have been sleeping. They say to paper your room with rejection slips if you have to, but to surround yourself with your writing. Since I don't have rejection slips yet, I'm gonna scrawl quotes everywhere.


These are the quotes I have hanging above my head right now:


The first draft of anything is shit. - E. Hemingway
Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self. - C. Connolly
Write with the door closed, rewrite with the door open. - S. King
Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm. - W. Churchill
The role of a writer is not to say what we all can say, but what we are unable to say. - A. Nian
Fall seven times, stand up eight. - Japanese Proverb

I really like the Japanese proverb one. I wrote that one in bold, because it's true for more than just writing. And because I like quotes and should be writing am bored, here's some more:

I would hurl words into this darkness and wait for an echo, and if an echo sounded, no matter how faintly, I would send other words to tell, to march, to fight, to create a sense of hunger for life that gnaws in us all. - R. Wright

I'm not a very good writer, but I'm an excellent rewriter. - J. Michener

Fill your paper with the breathings of your heart.  - W. Wordsworth

The pages are still blank, but there is a miraculous feeling of the words being there, written in invisible ink and clamoring to become visible.  - V. Nabakov

I'm going to go discover those invisible words now.

No comments:

Post a Comment