Monday, August 23, 2010

Janus

Right when I don't need one, another character, idea, and possible story comes along. I was finishing up How to Read Literature like a Professor (and I'm about to start The Awakening) this afternoon when Janus, the god with two faces the Romans named January after, was mentioned. I don't remember why he was mentioned, but he was. And for some reason, his name stuck with me so much that I created a new character, Janus.


All I have is that picture and her namesake, so here's some information on Janus (the god). He was the Roman god of doorways, gates, beginnings and endings. He has two heads, one that looks backwards and one that looks forward. This is why January was named after him; it looks back into the old year and forward into the new one. His heads are believed to look into the future and the past. 


I don't think I'm going to make my Janus psychic or blind or anything, though I was considering it. She might become a graffiti artist, but who knows.  I'm not planning on doing much with her as of right now, just going to let her stew in my head for a little while and see what happens. 

2 comments:

  1. Hey, I just want to say I think your ideas are great and that you should definitely keep up the blog. I'm interested in what other aspiring novelists are thinking. If you ever want someone to chat to about the strains of what it's like -I've been writing (trying) for seven years - or else someone to bounce ideas off, I'd be glad to help.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much! Out of curiosity, did you find this blog through Nathan Bransford's forums? If you did, I'd definitely be interested in chatting with you more there, since I can't see your profile here. xD

    ReplyDelete