Monday, August 2, 2010

Unreliable Computers are the Only Reliable Things at Half Past Midnight

Since I don't trust this laptop anymore than I trust my old desktop, I'm posting what I managed to write before becoming too distracted here. It's not here for anything other than the fact that I don't want to lose it. It's not the best thing I've ever written, but it's definitely not terrible, and I'm happy with it for now.



        It was dark. The sort of darkness permeated by sleeping ghosts and virulent memories. It was not a quiet darkness; no, there were screams of gunfire and a cacophonous harmony of war scorching whatever silence there might have been in the night. There were no stars illuminating the sky, only shadows. Lesser degrees of blackness by which to see: the trees were gray as ash, for they had burned with the rest of the German countryside. They had burned with their people who no longer lived here, in this clearing that might have once been a home to a family. Jack didn’t know them, and they didn’t know him, but his fighter jet had smashed through their trees and if the pines hadn’t already been dead then the ground would have been soaked in sap red as blood.
        He was alone. There was nothing but the occasional starburst of anti-aircraft fire that lit the foreign, monochromatic sky. The rotted carcass of his plane sighed in the night, stole Jack’s frosted breath from his lips and he could taste the 

2 comments:

  1. Hi :) I've just stumbled on to your site and the font is tiny! I had to zoom lots to read it. Just a FYI, but otherwise I enjoyed what I read and looking forward to your next post :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, hey! Yeah, the font's pretty tiny, but I dunno, I kind of think it looks nice. And tiny. I like tiny fonts. And I'm too lazy to experiment with another one, but I might, for the sake of my numerous readers.

    If you don't mind me asking, how'd you find the blog? FRom the Nano forums, Nathan Bransford's forums, or the magic of the internet?

    ReplyDelete