Monday, August 2, 2010

Writing for Writing's Sake

I outlined all of When the Storm Birds Fly yesterday. I've never outlined something like I outlined this novel before yesterday. I used the Novel Blueprint on Writer's Digest, and it was very helpful. It was also very fun. I never thought I would ever say that about outlining. However, I was stupid, and my computer had been acting up all week. I didn't email the outline to myself or save it to a flash drive.


The computer wouldn't start up this morning and has been declared deader than ded by myself, both of my parents, and my aunt. So there goes a whole day of work down the drain. Whoops. My bad. Lesson learned.


MORAL OF THE STORY: ALWAYS EMAIL YOURSELF YOUR WORK IF YOU THINK YOUR COMPUTER HAS A CHANCE OF DYING ON YOU.


Now I'm stuck on our old laptop, that keeps trying to update itself every fifteen minutes, but it's so outdated that even the updates would be outdated. But it's a laptop and it has a better word program than my computer did. I'm probably going to get a new tower for my old monitor, which works fine, within the next week and a half. Hopefully Dell ships it soon.


Until then, I'm writing for writing's sake. I don't remember the last time I did this, except for NaNo. Normally I'm so worried about showing my work to someone to get their opinion on it that I'm always editing as I go. My inner-editor isn't actually being too bitchy tonight, which is good. No major spelling mistakes, no major grammar issues, and I'm just letting myself write. This time I have no dreams of bestsellerdom for this novel. I'm not going to worry about that. 


I just want to get the story out and get back into the game of writing for myself, without worrying about what others think of my words. I can always edit them tomorrow and then keep on plugging. Besides, isn't the best art the art that wasn't meant to be?

No comments:

Post a Comment